So, here is my recipe for fresh asparagus with puff pastry, a lovely side dish for any dinner party.
I’ll be honest: it doesn’t look like much at first, and it’s definitely not as tantalizing as a colorful berry salad. But don’t be fooled, one bite into this asparagus with puff pastry and you’ll be amazed: glazed with honey, oozing with the best cheese mixture, and simply robust asparagus, this is definitely going to be one of the most memorable dishes you’ll ever have.
It is very similar to cheesy asparagus tarts, except this one has already been apportioned and is shaped like a packet.
Keep reading to learn how to make this amazing dish! We’ll go through the ingredients, step-by-step instructions, storage instructions and my pro tips.
This recipe will serve 8. To make this cheesy asparagus stuffed pastry, you will need:
- Asparagus – Opt for thin green asparagus. Woody ends will be discarded as they are the toughest part of the asparagus to chew.
- Frozen puff pastry – We will be using ready-made store bought puff pastry for this recipe. This is a timesaver, since mastering the art of perfectly flaky puff pastry is a whole lesson on its own.
- Brie cheese – Brie cheese is excellent on its own, as it is a double cream cheese. However, baked brie takes its flavor profile to a whole new level. When melted, brie becomes this earthy, buttery pool of cheese.
- Gruyere cheese – (Pronounced groo-yair) is commonly used in baked goodies like quiches and gratins, and in these asparagus puff pastry bundles! Gruyere is slightly sweet to the taste, a little nutty and has a creamy texture. If not available, substitute with Emmental or Raclette cheese.
- Almonds – Almond flakes to add on a layer of crunchy texture.
- Seasoning – Salt and pepper, honey and salted butter for glaze.
- Extra virgin olive oil – Olive oil has three purposes: coats the asparagus to prevent it from burning, makes it more tender, and infuses aromatic olive oil.
- Eggs – Beaten to make egg wash and lightly brushed on pastry before baking.
Preheat the oven whilst preparing other ingredients.
Step one: Prepare the asparagus. Trim and wash asparagus, then set in a colander to drain. Toss together asparagus, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
Step two: Lay out two sheets of puff pastry onto a floured surface and divide into 8 squares. Create layers of puff pastry filling. Brie cheese at the bottom, followed by 8 to 10 asparagus spears, and then gruyere cheese at the topmost layer.
Step three: Fold puff pastry. Take two corners and fold to the middle like a blanket with asparagus spears sticking out on either end. Repeat with other squares and transfer all to a baking pan lined with parchment paper (be sure to hold firmly, and don’t drop any cheese slices!). Parchment paper is crucial, since cheese is going to melt and ooze out of the bundles.
Step four: Top off the asparagus puff pastry bundles. Lightly brush each one with egg wash and sprinkle almond flakes generously.
Step five: Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Meanwhile, melt together honey and salted butter in the microwave, creating a lovely golden glaze.
Step six: Serve. Your puff pastry wrapped asparagus should have a golden brown color now and with browned asparagus spears. Drizzle honey glaze over each bundle and enjoy!
Expert Tips & Tricks
As always, I have some pro tips to share that might ease the process and avoid any mishaps!
- I leave the rind (outer shell) on my Brie cheese. It helps to keep the Brie from melting all over the place. That said, feel free to remove the rind if you don’t like the texture or flavor.
- I buy frozen puff pastry from the grocery store and let it thaw overnight in the fridge or on the counter.
- Keep the puff pastry as cold as possible at all times. Refrigerate it between steps to make sure it’s cold when it goes into the oven.
- Be sure to pinch the pastry closed when wrapping so it doesn’t break open during baking.
- Keep an eye on the oven since all ovens heat differently. Take the pastries out of the oven as soon as they are golden brown and puffy. You don’t have to worry about undercooking anything here!
Whether you have baked your asparagus puff pastry bundles or not, storing them is super easy. Lay them out in an airtight container (making sure not to stack one on top of the other). Keep in the fridge for up to 2 days and bake in the oven when desired.
Be sure to leave a comment if you tried this recipe!
Asparagus Stuffed Pastry Recipe
- 75-80 thin/pencil asparagus, woody ends trimmed and discarded (8-10 asparagus spears per puff pastry bundle)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- dash of salt + pepper
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 10 ounces brie, cut into 8 slices
- ¾ cup gruyere, shredded + divided among 8 puff pastries
- 1 egg, beaten
- 8 tablespoons flaked almonds
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Trim the ends of asparagus by simply bending the spears at the cut end and the tough part will snap off where the lignin has stopped forming. Wash trimmed asparagus in a colander and dry.
- In a bowl toss together the asparagus, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Roll the two pastry sheets out on a floured surface and cut each sheet into 4 equal squares, 8 squares total between the 2 sheets.
- Place a slice of Brie Cheese right in the middle of each square, leaving space around the edges to make a parcel.
- Then add 8 to 10 asparagus spears on top of the piece of brie cheese and top each bundle with the gruyere cheese.
- Take 2 corners of the pastry and wrap up and over the asparagus to enclose. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining squares.
- Brush each pastry with egg and sprinkle the dough with flaked almonds (about 1 tablespoon per bundle).
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, melt together the honey and butter in the microwave for approx 2 minutes until butter is melted and the honey and butter are combined. Stir together and let sit to cool until the Asparagus Puff Pastry is ready to be served.
- Serve the pastries warm, re-whisk the honey butter mixture and drizzle lightly over the asparagus puff pastry bundles.