I’m going back to basics with this roasted sweet potato recipe, you guys. The protagonist of today’s recipe is sweet potatoes. The orange kind – not to be confused with yam, my friends.
Incorporating sweet potatoes into our diet does wonders for our bodies too. These root veggies can boost our immunity, promote digestive health, and protect our eyes among other benefits. Something delicious and healthy? Double win!
There are so many amazing ways to cook sweet potatoes: mashed, julienned into sweet potato fries, atop a hearty shepherd’s pie, and stuffed with black beans.
Today, we’ll roast them in a garlic butter seasoning topped with grated parmesan cheese. It isn’t the most sophisticated recipe ever, but that’s what I like about it. Just the thing I need after a long, busy day.
Perfectly roasted, crispy, and well-flavored, it can easily serve as a carb replacement in a meal, a side dish with other mains, or even as a movie snack. I love its natural sweetness, but even more so with a dip like tzatziki.
The ingredients for oven-roasted sweet potatoes are few and uncomplicated, such as:
- Sweet potatoes – Fresh sweet potatoes are ideal for this recipe rather than frozen pre-bagged ones. Peel and slice 3 large spuds into rounds.
- Pro Tip: When buying sweet potatoes, look for deep orange skin that is smooth. The surface should have no wrinkles, bruises, or cracks.
- Garlic – This recipe calls for 6 garlic cloves, promising the ultimate flavor.
- Olive oil and butter – Olive oil and butter will accentuate the flavor of the sweet potatoes and garlic. Plus, it’ll help the sweet potatoes get crispy in the oven.
- Parmesan cheese – Parmesan cheese is grated and sprinkled atop the sweet potatoes. Savory and crispy!
- Italian seasoning – Add a touch of herbs from your favorite Italian blend, or mix dried oregano and thyme in its place.
All it takes to make this roasted sweet potato recipe are five easy steps and 15 minutes of prep time. A piece of cake!
Step One: Preheat your oven to 400°F.
Step Two: Peel the sweet potatoes and slice them thinly into rounds (thinner rounds will be crispier). Lightly butter a large baking dish and arrange the sweet potatoes into a spiral.
- Pro Tip: Alternatively, arrange them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Step Three: Whisk olive oil, melted butter, garlic, parmesan cheese, and Italian seasoning in a small bowl and mix well.
- Pro Tip: Add your own twist to the garlic butter oil with flavorful ingredients such as chili powder, curry powder, or extra virgin olive oil.
Step Four: Baste the sweet potatoes with the garlic butter oil, coating them evenly.
- Pro Tip: To make sure all the potatoes are well basted, drizzle the garlic butter oil after each layer of sweet potatoes until all the layers have been covered. Pour any remaining oil over the top layer and the sides.
Step Five: Sprinkle with parmesan cheese, then bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.
- Pro Tip: The roasting time will depend on the thickness of your sweet potato slices: the thicker they are, the longer they will take.
Don’t let these good spuds go to waste. If you have leftover roasted sweet potatoes, keep them to be enjoyed in the same way. Or, use them with other dishes (perhaps as a topping over summer salads and tacos, or as a snack dipped in tangy tzatziki or guacamole).
To store in the fridge: Cool the roasted potatoes for up to 2 hours. Seal and keep in the fridge to last for 2 days. To serve, reheat them in the oven, microwave, frying pan, or grill – whichever is easiest.
To freeze for up to 1 month: Lay out the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet or tray with space in between each slice. When the potatoes have frozen, pop them in a freezer bag (this makes it easier to defrost individual slices as needed). To reheat, thaw it in the microwave or in the fridge overnight. Then, reheat until piping hot.
Garlic Butter Roasted Sweet Potato Recipe
- 3 large sweet potatoes peeled and sliced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- 6 tbsp butter melted
- 1/4 parmesan cheese grated
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel and cut sweet potatoes into thin slices and lightly butter a large baking dish and arrange sweet potatoes into a spiral.
- Whisk oil, melted butter, garlic, parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning in a small bowl and mix well.
- Pour mixture over sweet potatoes in your baking dish, coating evenly.
- Sprinkle with parmesan then bake sweet potatoes for 45 minutes. Serve warm.
- Bon Appetit!