I am a huge margarita fan! Aside from wine, tequila is my go-to for my cocktail of choice. Recently, I shared my margarita pitcher recipe which is great for serving big crowds. While a classic margarita makes for a delicious cocktail, sometimes I like to switch it up, especially if I’m feeling particularly creative.
Today, I’m sharing a variation of the traditional recipe: a frozen strawberry margarita.
This homemade strawberry margarita recipe uses frozen strawberries, tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice, and honey. When blended together, the mixture turns a very pretty pink and has the texture of a fruit smoothie. Every sip of this refreshing cocktail is a lovely combination of fruity, sweet, and sour with hints of bitterness from the alcohol.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- It takes only 5 minutes to make – A cocktail that’s ready in five minutes? Yes, please! You and your besties will be sipping in no time.
- There is no cocktail equipment needed – Don’t worry if you haven’t got any cocktail shakers at home. All you need is a blender and some glasses to drink from.
- Everything in it is customizable – Since this drink is a twist on the traditional margarita, you don’t need to use the exact amounts listed here. Use as much or as little sweetener, strawberries, or alcohol as you’d like.
I think strawberry margarita will make a fabulous drink for any occasion: a weekend brunch, a bridal shower party, or a chill night in with your other half. If you’re throwing a Cinco de Mayo lunch or dinner, why not serve strawberry margaritas alongside shrimp tacos and Mexican street corn?
I hope you’ll like this strawberry margarita recipe. Let me know if you tried it. Cheers!
This recipe will make 4 servings of the best strawberry margarita. Let’s start with what you’ll need:
- Frozen whole strawberries – We will need 4 cups of frozen strawberries to make a thick puree. You can use fresh strawberries and add ice, although you will see a thick layer of foam develop at the top of the glass. I much prefer frozen berries for this reason.
- Reposado tequila – Measure 1 cup or about 8 oz. We like to use Patron Reposado which has caramel, honey, spicy and white pepper flavor notes.
- Orange liqueur – In addition to tequila, we will also use ½ cup or 4 oz. of orange liqueur. I use Triple Sec, but feel free to use Cointreau, Grand Marnier, or any orange liqueur of your choice.
- Limes – Squeeze fresh lime juice from 2 large limes. I love fresh lemon juice for this recipe, too.
- Honey – Honey acts as a sweetener in this margarita. I use ¼ cup honey, but it is up to your taste. Other sweeteners like agave or simple syrups also work.
- Margarita salt – Salt is used to rim the glasses but also enhances the sweet and sour flavor of margarita. Grocery stores should sell margarita salt, but otherwise, any coarse-textured salt like kosher salt will work.
To garnish each glass and make it look extra fancy:
- Strawberry – This can be a whole strawberry or one-half of a strawberry.
- Lime wedge – Slice lime into thin wedges and place one wedge on the rim of the glass.
How to Make This Margarita
This recipe is as easy as 1, 2, 3.
Step One: Prep your glasses. First, run a small wedge of lime around the upper outer rim of your glasses. Then, roll it into the margarita salt (in a shallow bowl) until the entire rim is coated. Set aside.
Step Two: Add the strawberries, tequila, lime juice, orange liqueur (triple sec), and honey to a blender. Blend until it’s completely smooth. Do a taste test and add extra sweetener or alcohol if desired.
Step Three: Pour the blended margarita into the 4 glasses and garnish with a strawberry & slice of lime. Serve immediately.
- Strawberry daiquiri – Use rum instead of tequila and you’ll have a strawberry daiquiri. Ta-da!
- Spicy strawberry margarita – Love some spice in your drinks? Go ahead and slice some jalapeño (as much as you’d like) and blend it in with the other ingredients. Jalapeño slices can also be used as a garnish, and it will surely indicate to your guests that this drink is definitely not your typical, vanilla cocktail.
- Strawberry banana margarita – Strawberry and bananas are a match made in heaven. Add 2 large bananas to the mix for the perfect flavor combination.
- Virgin strawberry margarita – You can turn this into a non-alcoholic beverage and still enjoy the same great taste. Instead of tequila, use bubbly water or club soda. And, in place of triple sec, just pour orange juice into the mixture.
- Use a strawberry syrup – To sweeten this drink with something extra berry-licious, try making your own strawberry syrup instead of using honey. Over low-medium heat, simmer ¾ cup of granulated sugar, 1 cup of diced strawberries, and ¾ cup of water. Once the sugar has melted, set it in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes. To serve, pour some syrup into each glass before adding blended margarita ingredients and stir well. It’s fun to get small bits of strawberries in your drink!
Strawberry Margarita Recipe
- 4 cups whole strawberries frozen
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reposado tequila (We like to use Patron Reposado)
- 2 large limes freshly squeezed
- ½ cup (4 ounces) orange liqueur (I use Triple Sec)
- 1/4 cup honey more or less to taste
- margarita salt to rim the glasses
- strawberry on rim and lime wedge for garnish
- Prep your glasses. First, run a small wedge of lime around the upper outer rim of your glasses. Then roll it into the margarita salt. Set aside.
- Add the strawberries, tequila, lime juice, orange liqueur (Triple Sec), and honey to a blender. Blend until it's completely smooth. Taste test and add extra sweetener or alcohol if desired.
- Pour the blended margarita into the 4 glasses and garnish with a strawberry & slice of lime.
- Pro Tip (optional): In Step 2 - Add 2 large bananas to the blender if you would like to try a Strawberry Banana Margarita.