Roasted vegetables are one of my favorite side dishes to make as they come together so easily, are healthy, and taste good. (My recent obsession is this bacon-roasted Brussels sprout recipe.)
Today’s recipe features roasted cauliflower. Each bite of parmesan roasted cauliflower is laced with garlic, coated in breadcrumbs, and covered in parmesan cheese.
If you are looking for a fun way to introduce vegetables into your diet or into your kids’ diet, this roasted cauliflower recipe is just what you need. Aside from being beautifully flavored, it has a fun texture – the baked cauliflower florets crispen up whilst the breadcrumbs become crunchy in the oven.
This recipe is vegetarian, low-carb, and can be easily made gluten-free by swapping out the breadcrumbs. Speaking of swapping, this recipe is so versatile. You can put your personal twist on it and flavor these morsels with your favorite seasoning items.
Is This Recipe Really Healthy?
I consider any recipe with cauliflower as the main ingredient to be healthy. I mean, it’s got to be way better than chowing down on cakes, pasta, or french fries every day (how do you think mashed cauliflowers fair against mashed potatoes?).
Cauliflowers are jam-packed with nutrients:
This cruciferous vegetable is low-calorie and high in fiber. It is a really good alternative for carbs and has a low glycemic index. Cauliflower is also a superfood: this means that it’s jam-packed with nutrients. Specifically, it’s high in vitamin C, vitamin K, and vitamin B6. The list goes on.
Eating cauliflower can boost our immunity:
Because of the high vitamin C content in cauliflower, consuming it boosts our immunity and protects us from chronic diseases. Rich with antioxidants, it slows the growth of cancer cells and reduces the risk of heart disease.
Take note that the cauliflower in this recipe is cooked in butter and parmesan cheese, both of which have saturated fats. Because of that, I would not recommend making this recipe every day.
This parmesan roasted cauliflower recipe serves 6. Let’s start with the ingredients:
- Cauliflower – For this recipe, we will need 1 large head of cauliflower. Chop it into bite-sized florets and discard the stem.
- Butter – Gotta have some buttery goodness.
- Garlic – Mince 3 garlic cloves (or substitute with garlic powder for less prep work) to enhance the flavor of cauliflower.
- Breadcrumbs – Breadcrumbs will help the cauliflowers get really crispy. If you need to make this gluten-free, simply crush up some cornflakes or gluten-free crackers instead.
- Parmesan cheese – Shred ½ cup of parmesan cheese, or more if you’d like.
- Italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper – To season the cauliflower. I use kosher salt and it also draws out moisture from the cauliflower leaving it crispier.
With a prep time of 15 minutes, this recipe is no sweat! Here’s how you make it, and I promise it’s easy:
Step One: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
Step Two: Chop the cauliflower into florets of roughly the same size. You can slice the large florets in half if needed.
Step Three: Melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Then, stir in the garlic.
Step Four: In another bowl, place breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, and shredded parmesan cheese. Toss lightly to combine.
Step Five: Dip each cauliflower floret into the bowl with butter, then into the bowl with breadcrumbs. Ensure it is evenly coated all around.
Step Six: Place each breaded piece of cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat until you use up all the cauliflower florets.
Step Seven: Roast the cauliflower for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the breadcrumbs turn golden brown.
- Pro Tip: The roasting time of the cauliflower depends on the size, the water content, and how much is on the pan. I would keep an eye on it and stop baking once it turns brown.
Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower Recipe
- 1 large cauliflower head chopped into florets
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cut cauliflower into florets, all roughly the same size. You can slice the large florets in half, if needed.
- Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl. Then stir in garlic.
- In another bowl, place breadcrumbs, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese.
- Dip each cauliflower floret first into the bowl with butter, then into the bowl with breadcrumbs.
- Place each breaded piece on a prepared baking sheet. Repeat until you use up all the cauliflower.
- Roast cauliflower for 30-35 minutes, or until the breading is golden brown.